DH, being from the south, LOVES corned beef and cabbage. Obviously that is not a veg-friendly dish, so I found this alternative from the book, Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies. Enjoy!
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 large servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the oil until the onion is translucent, about 10 mins.
- Add the paprika, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and water and simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the cabbage and cook over low heat for 20 mins, or until the cabbage is tender.
- Add the beans and cook over low heat for an additional 10 mins (or longer for softer cabbage).
Substitute garbanzo beans, black beans, or kidney beans for the pinto beans.
Serve over steamed rice, or paired with a baked potato or pasta.