I know my last post (Final Thoughts on Keto) sounded pretty…well…final. haha But since then, I’ve had some requests for recipe ideas. So on Thursdays for the next few weeks, I will continue posting about Keto. (My usual Monday posts will be other content.)
My husband came up with this recipe for everything bagels after some trial and error with other recipes online. They are now one of my must-haves while on Keto! This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Serving size: 1 bagel
Calories: 320 / Fat: 24g / Net Carbs: 8g / Protein: 18g
What You Need
- 1 tbsp psylium husk powder
- 1 1/2 c almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp Everything Bagel seasoning (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat.*
* We don’t have a bagel pan, so we just put them on a cookie sheet to bake. Keep in mind if you do this, no matter how you try to shape them, they will end up flat and not look like a traditional bagel with the hole in the middle.
3. Mix psylium husk powder, almond flour, baking powder, and everything seasoning* in a small bowl, and put it to the side.
* Yes, we put this seasoning inside the bagel! You can skip this and add it to the top just before baking, if you prefer.
4. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for 2 mins, stirring halfway through. At the end of the 2 mins, stir again until mixed well.
5. Add flour mixture and eggs to the bowl of melted cheese. While the cheese is still hot, use your hands to knead the mixture into a dough. (It will be very sticky!) If the dough becomes too hard or difficult to mix, reheat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften it, wash your hands, and knead it again.
6. Divide the dough into sections. (We usually end up with enough dough for 7-8 large bagels.) Roll each section into a ball, and place on silicone sheet. *Top with everything seasoning if you didn’t previously mix it in.
7. Bake in oven for 12-15 mins until bagels are browned on top.
These bagels keep well in the fridge for a few days, and can be reheated in the toaster. They are great on their own, or add toppings like bacon and avocado or lox and cream cheese to create a filling keto meal! Enjoy!
For more information on the Ketogenic Diet, check out my Keto page.